Clinical notes are a vital part of your patients’ records. You want to make certain that the notes accurately record the condition of your patients and the treatment you give them. For security reasons, Dentrix Enterprise locks a clinical note from being changed after it is signed or after end-of-the-month procedures are completed. However, these records may need to be updated from time to time.
If you ever need to clarify something in, correct, or add more details to a clinical note that has been locked (either automatically at month-end or by signing it), you cannot just edit the note. However, you can add an addendum.
- Select the note from the Notes list.
- Click the New Addendum button .
- You can enter free text for the addendum or use a clinical note template.
- Click OK.
The addendum becomes a permanent part of the note.
When amending the original record, keep the following in mind:
- Make sure the date is correct on the addendum.
- If you are not the author of the original entry, note that you have confirmed the content of the addendum with the original author.
- Note the justification for the modification of the original entry.
- The addendum must be signed.
- For more information, view the Adding an addendum to a clinical note Help topic.
- To learn more about adding an addendum to a clinical note, watch the “Adding an Addendum to a Clinical Note in History” video in the Reports Essentials course.
- To access the full suite of Dentrix Enterprise Essentials courses, visit the Dentrix Enterprise Resource Center. These training courses are included with your Dentrix Enterprise Customer Service Plan.